Thursday, August 18, 2011

I've done it!




I have finally done it!

I have finally 100% positively identified a mushroom!

My mother came over to my house carrying a bunch of mushrooms she found growing on freshly mowed grass owned by the city. She collected them all!
What a good mother I have!

As soon as I saw them, I knew I had seen them in a book recently.
I also strongly suspected that they were poisonous.

I was right.

So, without any further delay, let me introduce you to Chlorophyllum molybdites
or as it is more commonly known, Green-Spored Lepiota.


It is also the mushroom in America that is responsible for more poisonings
than any other.
Symptoms include severe intestinal discomfort, vomiting, and diarrhea
with fairly rapid onset.

Pretty to look at, but not to eat!


The cap is from 3 to 10 inches across, which is impressively large to me.



The young ones look like golf balls on a stick.
The Green-Spored Lepiota is a large mushroom frequently found in grassy areas in late summer.


The spores are a dingy olive green which on these older mushrooms was easy to
see even without doing a spore print.

You may even have some in you yard right now. Sometimes they even grow in fairy rings.
Hope you enjoy looking!
-Susan


4 comments:

  1. It is HUGE! Great find,what a find, and great macros, Susan.
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great shots!
    These are some of the biggest mushrooms I've ever seen. :)
    Carletta's Captures

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!