Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Do I remember how to blog?


Hi, whoever is still out there.
Lets see if I remember how to blog. I've been busy lately. I have a newborn and have been taking her with me on mushroom hikes. She likes it until I have to squat or bend over. 

I have found some interesting mushrooms lately.

Below is a Lactarius indigo or indigo milk cap.


When cut, it bleeds blue more than a University of Kentucky fan. This one was rather old.


I have no idea what this little mushroom is.



Above, if you look closely, you can see a heart shaped nibble out of the middle right of the mushroom's stem. Or maybe I looked at it too hard.

Another teeny, unidentified mushroom below.
 

This one may be Russula virenscens based on the green cap.


See? The cap is quite green. Sorry this pic is a bit blurry. I failed to get another shot of the top view.


Here is a little mushroom I think I know. It is too young for me to be confident. 
I *think* it is a Cinnabar Chanterelle, a.k.a.
Cantharellus cinnabarinus.



 I have no idea what the next one is. I can tell it is most likely a bolete of some type.


Besides finding a bunch of grown up, for sure edible chanterelles (not pictured- eaten), 
I found one really interesting mushroom lately.


It is a Laetiporus cincinnatus, or Chicken of the Woods with white underside.


Yes, it tastes sort of like chicken, but better.


This individual was quite young, but it was in danger of being mowed over 
so I went ahead and harvested it.


It was the first Chicken of the Woods I have ever found.

I also recently found my first Old Man of the Woods (Strobilomyces floccopus).


The "Old Man" is an edible type of bolete. This one was too old to try.
My favorite mushroom is still Hen of the Woods (Grifola frondosa).

Don't you just love common names of mushrooms?

I sure do.

Oh, and 
OBVIOUSLY, DON'T USE MY BLOG TO IDENTIFY MUSHROOMS YOU PLAN ON EATING. THERE ARE MUCH BETTER SITES FOR THAT. DON'T EVER EAT ANY MUSHROOM YOU ARE NOT 100% SURE OF.

-Susan



1 comment:

  1. I'm commenting on your blog in hopes you will write again soon. :) LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!