Thursday, August 12, 2010

Guest Post- Summer Rain


Today, I'd like to introduce you to my friend, Country Mouse.
Right now, Shakerag is enjoying one of the first rains in quite a while,
so this post seemed especially appropriate.

I wrote this just after a wonderful summer rainstorm a few years ago.

Standing on parched grass, I watch gathering thunderheads to the southwest, white cotton turning to towering slate in fantasy shapes. The air a pregnant stillness. The only birds visible are the darting hummingbirds. One female visits every blossom, ignoring the many feeders. She appears to be trying on hats for a garden party, disappearing into the lilies, mandevillas, and ruffled red petunias. Abruptly the wind arrives, sending the hummers scattering for cover. Not a gentle breeze, but a blast from an open freezer, deliciously cool, but eye-stinging with gathered dust. The corn and sunflowers flatten themselves before its fury. The trees bow in supplication, trying to touch the earth. Then the rain. Surprisingly soft, like a benediction. I am intoxicated by the smell of scorched rocks and earth quenched and cooling. Rain streams down my face like tears of joy as I run for the house.

-Country Mouse

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!