Friday, November 19, 2010

Macro Friday









It's been a busy week in Shakerag. I had the opportunity to go visit with my sister and the new baby. While I love cuddling and kissing my niece, I'm less enthusiastic about the three hour drive one way. But we're back now and I get to see my sister and her family again next week for Thanksgiving! Yay! And they are coming here! Double yay!

It seems the autumn rains are finally here, after an exceptionally dry summer and early fall. Tuesday was a rainy day. As I was was standing at the kitchen sink watching the rain, I noticed a flock of turkeys crossing my driveway. As anyone who knows me expects, I grabbed my camera and raincoat and off I went. Unfortunately, and not surprisingly, the turkey pictures were all blurry, too far away, and generally terrible. But, I did take some pictures while wandering back to the house.

I need to learn more about taking pictures in low light. Any tips are appreciated. After reading that cloudy days are best for photographing wildflowers since the clouds act as a natural light diffuser, I think I had higher hopes for all my shots that day. Only three came out well enough to even bother trying to edit. I do like these, but I took a lot more pictures than this!


Above is my entry for Macro Friday.



What could be more exciting than a knot hole on a moss covered log?


Yes, I had to include more leaves.
I loved how large these leaves were and how small the tree was.

As always, click on any of my photos for a closer look.

Visit blogging from bolivia to link up your own Macro Friday post!
Have a great weekend!

-Susan

9 comments:

  1. I think your pictured turned out just great! Love the macro!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The colors are beautiful! I have to fiddle with my camera setting for quite a while to get everything right for low light situations. So I'm not going to be a lot of help to you. I usually walk all around the subject looking for the best angle as far as light goes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are beautiful, if you put your iso up to the highest it will go this will make a big difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. really great photos. Have a lovely weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks! I love a good fungus!
    Justine,
    I will try fiddling with my ISO. I think I had it set quite low from another project. I bet that was the problem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you managed to save some photos. I can tell its been raining with you as your photos have such a lovely glazed effect to them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the autumn colors...very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful colors! Watch your shutter speeds in low light situations. To avoid camera shake your shutter speed should be at least the reciprocal of your lens' focal length. For example if I'm using my 50mm, my shutter speed should be at least 1/50 (shows up as just 50 in my view finder). I also step up my aperture (use 2.8 or as low as my lens will go) depending on the situation. Some times this really messes with my Depth of Field and I don't get everything I want in focus. PRACTICE, practice, practice. I keep telling myself that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the kind words and the tips! I will keep at it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!