Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Squirrely Sweet Shot Tuesday




I hadn't intended to be away from blogging for this long, but in addition to all the Thanksgiving stuff, I have been playing with my new toy. It's a Nokia N800. It's supposed to be an internet tablet, but I'm using it primarily as an e-reader. It's just the right size and not an iPod. I couldn't be happier with it. So, when I haven't been cooking, cleaning, or eating, I've been reading.
I have hardly taken any pictures as a result. But yesterday, as the light was dying, I spied this Gray Squirrel on my deck.


I've always been a bit squirrelly. It runs in my family. Some lovers of birds resent the squirrel's seed consumption, but not us. Around here, we have Gray Squirrels and Fox Squirrels. The Fox Squirrels aren't they type to come up to the deck to eat unless the weather is really rotten. Nearby areas even have Chipmunks, but not Shakerag.

We also have Flying Squirrels, but due to being nocturnal, they aren't often seen. As kids, we used to feed them peanut butter off our fingers. A few years ago, I did have the opportunity to photograph a Flying Squirrel.
These were taken with my first digital camera, an HP something or other.




The Flying Squirrel in these photos had been napping in the bluebird box. These were taken on a beautiful, sunny day in the early spring in 2006.

Stop by Life with my 3 Boybarians
to see what other sweet shots are out there this Tuesday.

-Susan

8 comments:

  1. Great shots! Particularly the first one on the pumpkin. We've got a bevy of these guys in our woods, along with some black squirrels as well. They don't seem to cooperate photographically as well as yours do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - great shots! I also love the one on the pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome back! Yesterday was the first time I posted in over a week, too! Congrats on your new toy. Congrats on the flying squirrel captures, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now those are some AWESOME shots!! I love squirrels. We even raised one.

    So nice to meet you♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Those are some great shots.

    I also like squirrels - however, I have to admit, my puppy (who is part beagle) *loves* "hunting" and chasing them down. We still try to encourage them to stick around, which they do, even if they need to run away from my puppy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the kind words!
    Susan,
    I, too, have raised a squirrel! What an amazing experience!

    Michelle,
    I totally understand about loving dogs and squirrels. I also love cats and birds- another complicated situation. My dogs are beagles and a lab and they really aren't a threat to wildlife as they don't get to run around the yard unsupervised. But the cat is h*ll on voles!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This squirrel on the pumpkin is awesome. I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment!